Tuesday, July 13, 2010

This is Me.

"Were you always interested in religion?"

"I can't remember when I wasn't. My sisters and I had to go to Sunday school and all that, and then we had to go to a church camp, a little Presbyterian church camp. In Pittsburgh the Presbyterians are real high-church -- it's a social thing -- and I despised it. But this was really low-church, Fundamentalist theology, and the first ideas I'd ever heard. It was metaphysics for children. It's the only metaphysics that people do teach children, and then you spend the rest of your life looking for something that good. You see undergraduates trying to study philosophy, and that's not it. Then they try psychology, and that's not it. They find it in literature, and they find it in poetry. I was going along happily without it, and then in college I hit theology and said: 'This is it. This is it.' " And so it has been.

-Annie Dillard

No comments:

Post a Comment