Saturday, October 30, 2010

Just in time for election season

An ongoing list of the miserable contributions to English by politics:

Fearmongering: In the words of the world's most interesting man, "I do not know what this is." I guess it means you point out the dangers in the perspectives of people with whom you disagree. To say both sides engage in this is to be redundant. Something I learned in Preschool though is usually the party doing the name-calling is most guilty of the act. Just an observation.

Hate- This is far different from anything the word used to mean. It is no longer something you do, but something you are. The sky is blue, the grass is green and my words are hatespeak. If it sounds Orwellian, it's because it is Orwellian. It's usually as a sophomore in college that kids really get a handle on the second meaning of this word. Then it begins to stick in their mouths like peanut butter. This annoys me college sophomores. Stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment