Thursday, June 3, 2010

One of my first experiences with despair

Was as a young child. I have no idea what movie it was... I think it starred that guy from The Mighty Ducks.

The premise was something to do with him adopting a kid? Honestly, I have no idea what the plot was. All I remember is one scene.

The man was drinking milk that had gone sour and was turned lumpy. He tried to pretend that it didn't bother him. He poured the lumpy milk into his Fruit Loops and sadly ate the milk with a face of determined satisfaction poorly veiling his misery.

For some reason, this struck me as infinitely painful. Something in his helplessness and being beyond all help, removed as he was in the film, tore my heart in two. It's a bizarre recollection, but one I have never forgotten and deeply effected me. It's the same agony I feel when I find my faith threatened.

This is an interesting thought. I see people who suffer and I want to help, but often I cannot. Is this scene of lumpy milk our lives? Our stout-hearted refusal to accept our sad situation my faith?

No, I don't think so. I think a life without faith is this scene of lumpy milk? But Christianity is the recognition of our soured milk and our helplessness. We have faith in a God who reveals our suffering to be a blessing for others, and promises a land flowing with (fresh) milk and honey.

It's not a cleverer theology. But it's the right one, I believe. That's the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment