Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sacrimonious

Sometimes I get a bug (the parasitic kind that cause itching) to write a post based purely on a word I inexplicably have in my head.

In this case, it is sacrimonious. Which isn't in fact a word at all, in the Merriam-Webster sense. And the two words it's ostensibly derived from "acrimonious" and "sanctimonious" carry none of the meaning the bizarro word, "Sacrimonious" carries in my mind. Yes, I capitalized it that time. It has, now in my personalized dialect, attained the status of "proper adjective" which isn't a designation that exists in the common man's English.

So having discussed, in an odd manner, Sacrimonious' etymology, one might ask, "What does it mean?"

Great question. While I can't provide a definition per se (a phrase I always italicize) I can (a word I don't always italicize) use the word in a sentence. I have provided the following example for illustration,

Boy 1: Hey Peter! They're showing back-to-back-to-back monster pictures at the dollar theater! Wanna grab a snow-cone with the gang and check it out?

Peter: Davie, can't you see I'm busy editing an abstract for my on-spec submission to Science Daily which hopes to resolve the seemingly irreconcilable principles of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. I don't have time for the Sacrimoneous representation of science you proffer with enticements of snow cones and such like.

Davie (formally, Boy 1): You are rotten!

As you can see, Sacrimonious, while always capitalized, is not bound by traditional ideas of spelling- whether spoken or written. This unnamed dialect is challenging for some, but the more confidence you have about its usage, the more liberating it becomes. Also, please note the lack of the proper interrogative punctuation in Peter's rhetorical rejoinder. This is a further example of the unique dialect's capacity.

I hope you have appreciated this obtute exposition.


1 comment:

  1. Realistically I suppose, in terms of how others perceive me, I suppose for them, I also must suffer from the effects of my brains screwy hardwiring (there is a bit of sacrimonious irony inside that sentence if you read it twice).

    This is how I used the term myself. The irony is that because of my screwy hard-wiring, I really tend to get on peoples nerves, so they negatively react and treat me "as I deserve". So, I am treated the way I deserve to be treated, but sanctimoniously I resent the fact that my brain is hardwired to cause me to behave as I do.
    So, I make acrimonious judgements against others who treat me as if I should know and act differently than I do. Therefore, it is a sacrimonious thing that I do do, all so well.

    Mrc109

    ReplyDelete